The Difference between H.264 and MPEG-4
"What is H.264 and MPEG-4? Are these both the same? Is H.264 codec of MPEG-4? What if I need to find a Player to play H.264 and MPEG-4 files? I want make online TV streaming and want to use them smoothly."
A lot of users like above user are puzzled about the difference between H.264 and MPEG-4. The following content will give you an exhaustive comparison about H.264 VS MPEG-4.
What is H.264:
H.264, also known as MPEG-4 Part 10-Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC), is served as one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression and distribution of video content. It is ubiquitous-internet video, Blu-ray, phones, security cameras, drones, everything.
What is MPEG-4:
MPEG-4 is a method of defining compression of audio and visual digital data. MPEG-4 is still an evolving standard and is divided into a number of parts. The familiar parts for people include MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-4 part 10 (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 or Advanced Video Coding).
H.264 is a new standard for video compression which has more advanced compression methods than the basic MPEG-4 compression. One of the advantages of H.264 is the high compression rate. It is about 1.5 to 2 times more efficient than MPEG-4 encoding.
3 main Advantages of H.264 over MPEG-4 compression are:
- Small file size for longer recording time and better network transmission.
- Fluent and better video quality for real time playback
- More efficient mobile surveillance application
Source from vellemanusa.com
Since H.264 is much better than MPEG-4, can we play the H.264 video files smoothly on Windows&Mac? Of course, we can. With the help of Brorsoft 8K Video Player for Mac (Windows version), users can freely play almost all kinds of video files.
As the best H.264 Player, it not only can play H.264 video files, but also can afford 8K/5K/4K videos playback in various formats including MPEG-4, MKV, HEVC, AVI, AVC, MOV, MTS, MOD, FLV etc.
Free download Brorsoft 8K Video Player:
Download and run the software on computer. After that, you can play all videos you wanna play without trouble.
Three ways to play the H.264/MPEG-4.
- Drag and drop the files for playing directly;
- Click Arrow button on the software main interface to choose the file you want to play;
- Right click on target file, move to "Open with" and choose "8KPlayer" to open it.
Useful tips about Brorsoft 8K Player
1. It not only can play common video formats, but also can afford discs including Blu-ray/DVD and more.
2. To play ISO file, a virtual drive should be installed on your computer in advanced. Launch the virtual drive and load the ISO file, then you can operate the same way as playing Blu-ray disc.
3. Main features of Brorsoft 8K Video Player:
4K/5K/8K/Ultra HD&1080P Support with 2D/3D Effect
Record and Save Screen Videos
Take Snapshot for Video Scenes
Add a Bookmark for Movie Plans
Dolby, DTS, AAC, TrueHD, DTS-HD Advanced Audio Decoding Technology
Video,Audio&Disc Playback Support including Blu-ray disc,DVD, H.265/264, MOV .etc