Tutorial: How to Copy DVD Movies to NAS Devices
"Can anyone recommend the best tool to rip my DVDs on my NAS and what file format to use? "
It is not a difficult problem to backup DVD to NAS, no matter what NAS devices you using, ripping movies from dvd is the priority, as long as you choosing an compatible format and ripping DVD with an best tool, copy DVD to NAS devices will be done easily.
What format to use?
In order to save DVDs to a NAS drive, you'd better choose H.264 MP4 - MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC), is a block-oriented motion-compensation-based video compression standard that is currently one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression, and distribution of video content and compatible with almost all the media players and devices.
And in my pervious post, for importing DVD to QNAP, Synology, Asustor, RedayNAS, Seagate or Western Digital, H.264 MP4 was chosen as the recommended format. Someone may be chooce MKV format, since it can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks in one file. However, you should make sure that your terminal devices or players are compatible with MKV files.
How to Copy DVD to NAS device?
As you know the best compatible format for import DVD movies to NAS devices, the second step is choosing an DVD ripping tool, so that you can rip the DVD from DVD disc to H.264 MP4 for your NAS devices. Here Brorsoft DVD Ripper comes out, which is an outstanding DVD ripping tool for ripping movies from dvd to play via nas.
1. Remove DVD protection. It has strong ability to backup any encrypted DVDs including older and recent ones and remove copy protection from DVD with Disney X-project DRM, Analog Protection, CSS, Sony ArccOS, CSS, UOPs and unlock region code.
2. Totally safe. No one would like to take any risks to run an unsafe software. Brorsoft DVD Ripper is totally clean. No virus, no adware, no spyware, and no malware.
3. Easy to Use. There are just three main steps to charge the whole ripping process: Load DVD > Set Profile > Get Started.
4. Speed and quality. Brorsoft DVD Ripper makes a balance among faster ripping conversion speed, amazing output video audio quality and smaller file size.
5. Considerate backup solution. Apart from ripping DVD to H.264 MP4, it also enables you to rip DVD for directly playback on Android, iOS, Windows based devices. The most import is that you can copy movie only from DVD Disc or backup a DVD with Original structures.
With the DVD ripper and know the format. Now follow the steps below and backup DVD to nas.
Guide: Rip DVD to H.264 for NAS
First free download the Brorsoft DVD Ripper on your Windows (10) PC. For Mac users, please switch to Brorsoft DVD Ripper for Mac (compatible with macOS Sierra, for reviews please turn to best DVD Ripper for macOS Sierra).
Step 1. Load DVD files
Launch the DVD Ripper(Windows version taken as example, Mac version share the same steps). Click the "DVD" icon to load DVD movie. After the DVD files are loaded, you can preview them on the right viewing window and take snapshots of your favorite movie scene. ISO and IFO files are also supported.
Tip: If you need to rip DVD with wanted subtitles and audio track, you can click the drop down menu after "Subtitles" and "Audio" to select your desired tracks.
Step 2. Choose output format
Here we choose H.264 .mp4 as output format. Basically the "Common Video -> H.264 Video (*.mp4)" is just all right.
If you want to keep 1080p resolution as source movie, you can choose HD Video > H.264 HD Video(*.mp4) as output format.
Tip: If you think the video size this not suitable for your devices, you can first choose any one of the provided type, then change the settings. Please remember the file size is based more on bitrate than resolution which means bitrate higher results in bigger file size, and lower visible quality loss.
Step 3. Start to copy DVD for NAS devices
When all the settings are OK, click "Convert" button to copy DVD for saving to your NAS drive.
You can view the conversion progress and are able to cancel the converting process at anytime.
When the conversion is over, click "open" to locate the ripped video files and then importing them to your NAS devices.