Steps for Converting DVD to MPEG-2 Using MPEG Streamclip PC and Mac
MPEG Streamclip is a useful program for exacting MPEG-2 data from DVDs. It does not re-encode the video, it simply repackages it into a stand-alone file. It is available for Mac and PC and should be in the tool kit of anyone who works with video.
1. Insert DVD into drive.
2. Open the MPEG Streamclip application. (If you are using an ingest station at SCM, you will find a shortcut on the desktop.)
3. From File menu, select “Open DVD”.
4. From the “Browse for Folder” window, select “Computer,” and then select “DVD RW Drive” and click OK.
5. MPEG Streamclip will start loading your DVD. If you are prompted to “Fix Timecode Breaks,” click OK. A window may appear saying: “Do Not Skip Any Frame.” If so, click OK.
6. If Quicktime Alternative or Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component have been installed, proceed to step 7. If not, proceed to step 10.
7. Each DVD may function differently at this point. In some cases, such as a DVD with no menu and only one program, the program may immediately appear in the MPEG Streamclip window. Other times, such as with DVDs with more than one program, you may be prompted to select from one or more “titles.” In this case, select “1” and repeat the process with the other titles that you wish to use.
8. Verify that the program is complete. If there is more than one title on the DVD, identify which program it is. If there are color bars or slates at the beginning of the program, these will need to be removed.
9. By moving the play head underneath the video, you may select new in and out points for your program to remove any extraneous material at the beginning or the end. The arrow keys are useful to fine tune these points. Select “I” for the point to begin the video and “O” for the end.
10. Select “Save/Convert (as) MPEG with MPEG-2 audio” from the file menu and save your file.
11. Use the following naming convention for the title of your file: “program_title_year_month_day.mpg”. For example, if the first airing of your program is to be on August 15, 2011, the file name would be: “title_11_08_15.mpg”. Replace spaces with underscores.
12. NEW naming convention information: If your program contains material that may be suitable only for mature audiences, add "_mature" to the end of your file's name (showname_yy_mm_dd_mature). Failure to do so could result in a suspension of privilages.
13. Extracting MPEG-2 files from your DVD using MPEG Streamclip
For your program to air on Seattle Community Media, it must be converted to an MPEG-2 file that is compatible with our broadcast server. Though it would be ideal to simply export an MPEG-2 directly from your timeline, many editing programs do not have this feature. However, many of these programs will allow the creation of DVDs which contain MPEG-2 encoded video within them.
Well, MPEG Streamclip can play many movie files, not only MPEGs, but some users also come across various problems, for example incompatible with the latest Mac OS like macOS Sierra, error messages like "won't read or open files" or "unrecognized file format", etc. It can well handle general DVD with QuickTime MPEG2 encoder but cannot rip copy-protected DVD properly even the encrypted has been removed, for example audio out of sync or no sound of output file.
In this case, you’re much better off getting a solution like Brorsoft DVD Ripper for Mac (El Capitan and macOS Sierra included), which can not only rip just about any DVD, but can convert it into any format you want really easily. It’s literally as simple as inserting your DVD and clicking a button. If you are on a PC, please turn to Brorsoft DVD Ripper .
(Note: Click here for OS X 10.5)
Keep reading about best alternative to MPEG Streamclip and you’ll understand why Brorsoft DVD Ripper is a much better solution.
If you not only wanna convert DVD videos, but also intend to convert Blu-ray or HD Videos such as MKV, WMV, MOV, M4V, AVI movies, the all-in-one tool, Brorsoft’s Video Converter Ultimate (or iMedia Converter for Mac) will be your first and best choice. It is a yet professional all-in-one Blu-ray Ripper, DVD Ripper and HD Video Converter, which comparatively has better output quality, in particular HD videos and intuitive interface. What's more, its deinterlacing function and merging, cropping, trimming, adding subtitles ability are what its many competitive products lack of.
Guide: Rip DVD with MPEG Streamclip Alternative: More Functions and Much Easier
Step 1. Add DVD files
Launch the best alternative to MPEG Streamclip and press the DVD-like button to load DVDs. Freely, you are able to import DVD VIDEO_TS folder and ISO image file for its drop-down menu. When you check the main movie, you can select subtitles you want.
Step 2: Set output format
Choose the MPEG as output format. Click Format bar and MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 are provided for you in Common Video profile list.
Also, you can click on "Format" bar, and select output format from the drop-down list. You can choose some popular video format like MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, etc from "Common Video" list. For portable devices, special output formats are listed for you, such as Android, iPad, iPhone, Samsung, Asus, Apple TV and so on.
Tip: If you like, you can click the "Settings" to set parameters for your devices.
Step 3. Start ripping DVD
After finishing all the necessary settings and editing, you can click the big Convert button to start converting your DVD files with the bestMPEG Streamclip alternative.
When the conversion done, click Open button to get the ripped videos for much more convenient playback anytime anywhere.
Only three steps, really very simple, still hesitant what? Try it out quickly !