Free to Rip and Convert DVD with VirtualDub
Q: "I'm going to convert some DVD (.vob) files to .avi videos with freeware VirtualDub, but have problems to load DVD (.vob) files into it. Any suggestions? Thanks."
VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for Windows platforms. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward dealing with AVI files. Also built-in capturing and video frameserving. However, some users still have problems when converting DVD movies with VirtualDul like: Can't find/load DVD vob files in VirtualDub, how can I use VirtualDub to convert DVD to DivX, Xvid.avi? So, in this post we will show you the best workflow of ripping and converting DVD with VirtualDub.
Part I: How to Rip and Convert DVD with VirtualDub?
VirtualDUB is a bit different to Handbrake, it doesn't need installing, just extract the archive and run ‘VirtualDub.exe'. However, you do need to separately download the MPEG2 plugin (required to decrypt DVDS).
1. First download the freeware VirtualDub, it's latest version is 1.10.5 test 7 (October 13, 2014).
2. Then, download MPEG2 plugin to decrypt DVD files, when you extract VirtualDub, there will be a "plugins" folder, copy the content of the MPEG2 archive into this folder.
3. Run VirtualDub.exe and click File > Open Video File - Now you need to navigate to your DVD and click VTS_01_1.VOB (this is usually the first video file on a DVD, then tick the option ‘Ask for extended options' before clicking 'Open'. On this new dialogue box, tick 'Open multiple VOB files as one virtual file'. VirtualDUB will now analyse the DVD and this may take some time.
4. Click the 'Video' menu option and then 'Compression'. You'll be presented with a list of options for compressing your video, in this example I'll use the DivX codec. Unfortunately this also isn't included with VirtualDUB by default. So if you don't see it in this list you'll need to download and install it (when doing so, you'll only need the ‘DivX Plus Codec Pack'), restart computer if needed, reopen VirtualDUB and it should now appear in the compression dialogue box. ‘DivX x.x.x Codec' (not Decoder).
5. Final step click: File > Save as AVI, then choose where you want to save the video file.
Editor note: The process is a bit complex, you need to install some third-party codec to convert DVD files, and the output codec/ formats are limited. If you want an all-in-one DVD decrypter and encoder and best VirtualDub alternative software, please turn to Part II.
Part II: Best VirtualDub Alternative to Rip/Convert DVD without Third-party Plugins
Brorsoft Video Converter Ultimate for Windows /Mac all-in-one video, audio, Blu-ray and DVD converter is probably the best alternative to VirtualDub with below features:
--Convert virtually any video/DVD/Blu-ray files to all popular video/audio formats like H.264 MP4, MOV, MPEG-4, AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, 3GP, VOB, MP3, M4A, WAV, and more.
--Easy-to-use, 6X faster conversion speed and zero quality loss
--Customized presets for 150+ popular formats including iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Android, Xbox, PS3/PS4, Apple TV, and more
--Backup any DVD/Blu-ray with 100% original quality, or directly copy Blu-ray/DVD main movies as you like.
--Edit videos in your way (crop, trim, volume, subtitle, watermark and effect)
--Support H.265/HEVC Encode & Decode
Free download the best VirtualDub Alternative:
Read More: Best Alternative to FFmpeg | Alternative to Format Factory | Alternatives to MacTheRipper | Alternative to Handbrake
Step 1. Load DVD Movies
Install and launch the best best VirtualDub Alternative video converter, simply click Load Disc to import DVD movies to the program.
Step 2. Choose Output Format
Click the Format option, then select DivX.avi, Xvid.avi from the Common Video or HD Video category as you like.
You can also choose other options according to your devices.
Tip: If you like, you can click Settings icon to change the video encoder, resolution, frame rate, etc. as you like.
Step 3. Start Convering DVD Movies
With above settings, click the Convert button on the main interface to rip and convert DVD movies to AVI videos. DVD copy protection will be removed automatically.
The conversion will be finished only in a few seconds. After the conversion, you can click the Open button to quickly locate the ripped files and transfer them to your home media sever or portable devices.
Now, you're able to play the converted DVD movies on HDTV, portable devices without hassle.